Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax RTAD PCI modem - Slow Connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpunkyMunkey

Technical User
Dec 31, 2002
CA
I am running a 99 Intel Pentium 233, 64 MB SDRam, 6GB HD on Win95 . I maintain 2 dial up accounts. Net Zero I get 26400,
Arczip I get 31200. I've tried just about every init string you can think of. Telephone line is good because another computer with a $10.00 modem is connecting at 43000.
When I do a modem speed test it says I have a connection of 14000 on a bad day to about 19,200 on a good day.
If anyone has a magic init string or a super charged driver or any other info it would be appreciated. I notice with Arczip it takes a long time to actually get data flowing and just before it gets going a windows log on page comes up. Right now I have a throughput of 1810 cps, 14,400
I have to use the area code with the number and I have a comma after the area code. Thanks

As an update to this and by reading info on this forum I am now clocking a throughput of 3000 and a estimated speed of 26400 thanks mainly to the ISpeed program and other info. Upon looking at the modem log, it looks like the modem wants to connect at 57600 however the handshake is 33000 or 26400 depending whether it's arczip or netzero.
Happy New Year

what kind of modem do you have? that may be the problem if the server and your modem are different protocols the MOST it would connect is 36.6

calling your ISP's and finding out the type of server modem (V90, K56flex, X2)they have and checking your modem's type (V90, K56flex, X2)you may need to disable or enable a specific protocol in order to recieve the higher speeds useing another "modem string". also there are some of the older software based modems that can use more than 1/2 of your cpu while connected inwhich if you don't have much free then your connection will not be so great.

hope this info helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back