Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI Modem speed problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scifly19

Vendor
Jun 4, 2003
US
I have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion 4540 with a Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI Modem, and when I dial on to the internet using a regular AOL home phone line connection, I get disconnected quite often. This happens quite often when I'm playing a videogame online such as StarCraft Broodwar. I never used to get disconnected quite as often. It only used to disconnect once every 20 or 30 sign ons. Now it disconnects me every 2 or 3 sign ons, and it has become very annoying, getting disconnected from AOL right in the middle of a game. I'm guessing that my modem is have some problems with connection speed or that it may be becoming too out of date to run AOL and the game at the same time. Does anyone know what the problem is or how to remedy it? Thanks.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM HP 8565C PROVILION, BEFORE I WAS KICKED OFF ON OCASIONS BUT NOW ITS EVERYDAY. IM ONLY GETTING A FEW MINUTES B4 GETTING KICKED OFF! TRY THEY HAVE SOME DOWNLOADS THAT MAY HELP US. I'M STILL CONFUSED BUT I THINK THE ANSWER IS IN THERE? IF YOU FINE IT PLEASE HIT ME BACK... BUTCHER

Before you get too frustrated...
Both HP and PB make modems (amongst other mfg's).
Conexant/Rockwell only make chips, not modems.
Most of the modems in HP's are one of 4 types:
1.) Riptide
2.) Chameleon
3.) HCF
4.) HSF
Until you know EXACTLY what you have, it's difficult to get the correct drivers.
I have instructions (on the page, link kindly provided above) on how to find out what type of modem you have, and there are links to most drivers, for most modem types.
If you still can't find it on my page, then post back.
Your single biggest problem, is that you have an HP, which is a very proprietary computer.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back