Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rockwell/Connexant R6793 PCI modem install

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsaacJBS2

Technical User
Nov 7, 2001
US
Hello all; this is my first message here. Ever since I setup my wife's computer, the modem has been a real pain to get going, or even recognized by Windows. It was originally a Pctel AMR V1.2 modem, and the drivers were all but impossible to get going in Win98 or ME. So, as I was totally unable to get the modem working in XP (she has a dual boot setup with XP and ME) I thought I would try a spare one I had, a Rockwell R6793-11 PCI modem. Things are already going screwy.
First, I tried it (the newer Rockwell modem) under WinXP since the old PCTEL modem was actually working in ME but not at all in XP. XP recognized it and, just as I had read elsewhere online, had the drivers already. I ran the diagnostic as well, and Windows was getting through to the thing. Great! But when I try to connect with it, it only appears to be working. The "line open" light on my phone doesn't come on--therefore, nothing is getting through, though Windows is dialing hopelessly. Finally, it gives up and reports it can't connect.
Next, I tried ME. I had to install the drivers from the CD for ME, but it recognized it and installed it. But upon restarting, when Windows goes to update its driver database--nothing. It doesn't totally lock up, but it never makes any progress toward completing the update. And I can't get out of the hardware database window without hitting Ctrl-alt-del, and then Windows ME never fully loads. What can I do under both XP and ME to correct this?
Also, please don't just tell me to get rid of WinME... that doesn't help me, and ME has worked fine on both our computers despite all the bad rumors. It even fixed a few problems on my wife's computer she was having under 98SE.
THANKS for any help you can give.

IsaacJ

First, if you didn't remove the PCTel drivers, they're probably screwing up the Rockwell, as well as DUN (Dial-up-networking).
Here's the procedure, you can not miss a step, or it just wont' work, and end up with more headaches than you have now.
Do the software stuff in BOTH OS's!
1. Boot to safe mode.
2. Open device manager, remove all modems, and com ports, and anything else related to modems (wav device, etc.).
3. Shutdown, pull the modem out of the computer.
3. Restart, go in to BIOS setup.
5. Disable com 2.
6. Set "PnP OS Installed" to NO, this will force individual IRQ's for each device, no sharing.
7. Set "Reset configuration data" to yes. This makes the BIOS assign an IRQ for each device detected via hardware.
8. Restart, let the port(s) install.
9. Go to add/remove programs, windows setup tab, in control panel, remove Dial-up-networking.
10. Shutdown, and put the modem in.
11. Restart, install drivers for it in both OS's.
12. Go to Start > Run > and type in inetwiz to create a new connection and reinstall DUN (this is for ME).
13. In XP hit the internet wizard in Start > Programs, accessories, Communications. Do this when logged in as ADMIN.
Good Luck. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back