Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

robust key systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeaveyPhones

Technical User
Dec 5, 2003
US
My Pastor asked me to help him replace our aging Merlin phone system. The church currently has 2 co lines, 1 fax, and 9 stations. A 4x12 or 6x16 would do it. He wants voice mail/auto attendant and to really have fun the ability for caller to transfer to a cell phone. As in, dear ole sister Jones calls gets the pastors vm and has the option to to dial a digit and the systems transfer her to his cell.
Easy enough on a PBX like a G3r, but what is available in the small systems? I haven't installed a key system in about two years and I'm assuming some progress has been made that I'm not aware of.

Richard

"The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

I can do all that with my Merlin Legend, but with the voicemail requirement, I wouldn't expect it to be 'cheap'. Others may have more options for you, as my key system experience is limited (Legend and Norstar only), and I haven't used any of the new small all-in-one boxes yet.

I thinking of, like you say, an all-in-one. Something that would not require a tech everytime a change has to be made.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

Put in a little Partner or other key system - most will do what you want - also used stuff is always available for the price conscious - where are you located?

the partner system wont let you transfer to the cell phone

take a look at the panasonic line

I beleive the panasonic vm will let you transfer to a outside line.

if new look at the the ta624 starts off as a 3x8

if used look into the kxt1232d its a robust feature rich system thats availble fairly cheaply on the secondary market.

The Partner ACS R6 WILL allow you to transfer to a cell phone with remote call forwarding. Here's how: Use Partner Messaging, which allows you to set a "personal operator" for a mailbox. (That's an extension that the caller gets when dialing "0" from a mailbox. Normally, that's just Ext. 10, the "system operator", but you can set your personal operator to any extension in the system). Remote forward that extension to the cell phone.

Now Sister Jones calls in, gets the Pastor's voice mail at Ext. 14 (or wherever). It says "leave a message at the tone, or if this is an emergency, press 0". She presses 0, the call transferres to Ext. 25, which is remote call forwarded to the Pastor's cell phone.

The only cavaet is that the remote forwarded extension must be a real physical extension port, even though it doesn't have to have a phone plugged into it. So you could burn a port to do this, or use another phone in the office that wouldn't normally receive calls to it.

Esi has systems that when you use personal greeting #2 you can have the caller press 4 (once they are in your mailbox), to reach you on your cellphone, or just leave a message after the tone. This is a very user-friendly system. Go to and check out the e-class systems.

Hello,

TTTommy is correct it will remote call forward. That will be your best bet for the pastor , they will be able to program it themselves extremely easily. Steer clear of any bizfone or esi systems.

Regards
tech@avayatelephone.com

Don't compare the ESI with the bizfone - as a career long AT&T person i was leery at first but i have found ESI and the ESI systems to be head and shoulders above the Partner, Magix & IP Office - More features, lower price, easier to use and administrator, killer IP functionality and far better tech support!.

The Comdial DX80 is perfect for that type of enviroment. I've installed a bunch of DX80's in churches, rectories, convents and school's. Transferring off premise can easily be done and you can even set up the number remotely. The DX80 system is one of the most affordable in its class.

I hear from Comdial dealers that the support from Comdial is brutal - they have stopped supporting systems that are less than 5 years old - not a good sign!!

I don't find that true at all. What systems are you talking about?

upstateny,
I,m in Meridian Mississippi. Ever see the movie Brother Where Art Thou? It was shot in the Mississippi Delta to the west but culturally, the state has not progressed to much beyond that.

Partner - I'm sure it's just me, but I find the programming to be difficult. I can work on a G3R but have trouble with the little ole Partner...
Comdial - had some bad (with the product and tech support)experiences. I'm sure the product has gotten better.
Panasonic - I've put a few of those in.
ESI - Appears to be the most user friendly. Doubt there would be any local support available for when I get out of here. Have you actually installed the ESI?

Richard

The unexamined life is not worth living; Socrates

another thing to keep in mind for the off premise call forwarding to the cell phone you probably need more than 2 lines.

two lines will be busy for the duration of the call

we set up a similar situation in a small real estate office a few years ago using a TIE onyx,

it was pretty neat when the agent was ready to leave the office he just call forwarded his phone to his cell phone.

we started running into busy situations so we basiclly wound up with two co lines per agent. plus two or three incoming genreal lines.

as to programing the partner its really pretty simple once you get the hang of it and the partner forum here is very helpfull.

Skip,
Thanks, I had forgotten about the obvious problem of a second line being used. I'm used to being overtrunked here.

I need to take one of our spare Partners home and mess with it.

Richard

The unexamined life is not worth living; Socrates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back