Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Robot Control with NetBackup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstorm

MIS
Oct 1, 2001
US
All,

I have been trying to configure an environment where the Master server controls the robot of a tape library that is connected to a Media server. I have had lots of frustration in getting this to work. Is this even recommended or is it "best practices" to have the media server control both the robot and the tape devices in a library?

How is everything physically connected? I have quite a few instances where I have a media server control a robotics device but other servers are connected to the devices.

Thanks for the reply. The tape drives and the robot connect to a Brocade switch via Fibre cables. There is also a fibre connection for the HBA(s) from each of the Master server and the Media server. The switch is zoned so that the Master server HBA controls the port for the robot and the Media server HBA controls the ports for the tape drives.

It is best practice to have the media server have robotic control. The master is very busy with volume database control, Netbackup databases, logging etc. If this tape device is connected through a tape SAN you can let the Master and Media servers share the drives, that is if you have an shared storage licence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back