Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Robocopy info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicM

Programmer
Sep 24, 2001
US
Hi folks,

I have a client who has a Vista desktop PC and a Windows 7 laptop. There is an Access DB on the Vista PC that backends an internal webpage application (handled thru localhost and IIS).

The Windows 7 laptop is networked to the Vista PC thru a wireless router while the laptop is in the same building. The client wants to be able to utilize the app when the laptop is networked or offline while away from the building. This requires ensuring the Access .mdb is always current on both machines.

I looked at Robocopy and thought writing a script that the client can execute before and after use of the app would allow both copies of the .mdb to be identical when they are networked. Also need to copy the security info since when overwriting the .mdb I always have to get to the security area and re-establish permissions so the .mdb is writable.

My question is, do I need to write two different scripts so synchronize the files; one to copy from Vista PC to laptop; and one to copy from laptop to Vista PC? Or can I install the same script on both machines and it will be able to determine which file is newer, then copy in the appropriate direction?

Any enlightening will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back