Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Robocopy Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Trying to backup a Western Digital network hard drive. The path is something like \\10.1.10.10\fpc-shared and it has the S: drive mapped to that. The destination I: is a 2.5" USB hard drive.

Robocopy is giving me the follow errors depending upon whether I try to choose the source as \\fpc-shared\ or S:I have NOT tried the IP address as a way of addressing the source. Here are the two different errors I get. The errors equate to "The specified path is invalid." and "The system cannot find the path specified." Not understanding what's going on. The same batch file used to work on XP. Yes, I am right-clicking and "run as administrator" on batch file.

Using \\fpc-shared as source
===========================================================================
Started : Mon Jun 03 11:17:31 2013

2013/06/03 11:17:31 ERROR 161 (0x000000A1) Getting File System Type of Source \\FPC-SHAREDThe specified path is invalid.
Source - \\FPC-SHARED Dest : I: Files : *.*
Options : *.* /FFT /L /TEE /S /E /COPY:DAT /PURGE /MIR /ZB /R:2 /W:5
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/06/03 11:17:31 ERROR 161 (0x000000A1) Accessing Source Directory \\FPC-SHAREDThe specified path is invalid.Waiting 5 seconds... Retrying...
2013/06/03 11:17:36 ERROR 161 (0x000000A1) Accessing Source Directory \\FPC-SHAREDThe specified path is invalid.Waiting 5 seconds...
================================================================================

Using S:\ as source
===============================================================================
ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started : Mon Jun 03 11:21:39 2013

2013/06/03 11:21:39 ERROR 3 (0x00000003) Getting File System Type of Source S:The system cannot find the path specified.

Source - S: Dest : I: Files : *.*
Options : *.* /FFT /L /TEE /S /E /COPY:DAT /PURGE /MIR /ZB /R:2 /W:5
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013/06/03 11:21:39 ERROR 3 (0x00000003) Accessing Source Directory S:The system cannot find the path specified.

Are your folder names in the batch file by any chance surrounded by quotes?

>I have NOT tried the IP address as a way of addressing the source

The source should be \\computername\sharename or \\ipaddress\sharename
You can't just use \\sharename
As for why a working mapped drive doesn't work as the source, check permissions on the share. Instead of Run As Administrator, you may need to Run As another user account

Are your folder names in the batch file by any chance surrounded by quotes?
I didn't mention it, but I tried SOURCE in quotes and no difference.

The source should be \\computername\sharename or \\ipaddress\sharename You can't just use \\sharename\
Well, I can't use \\computername because it's not a computer - it's an external/networked hard drive.
I will try to use \\ipaddress\sharename.

Not understanding why Windows mapped drive (S:) doesn't work though.
check permissions on the share. Instead of Run As Administrator, you may need to Run As another user account
You mean like an administrative user in the hard drive web interface/administrative console perhaps?

>but I tried SOURCE in quotes

Actually, my point was going to be that if it is in quotes, then a trailing backslash gets misinterpreted, and can lead to the sort of error you are seeing.

Yea, try \\10.1.10.10\fpc-shared, maybe you get lucky.

For the S: drive map, maybe open a command prompt and confirm you can browse to the S drive, and if so, try the batch file from that command prompt. I don't see why RoboCopy would report "cannot find the path specified" in that case.

Assuming it's a network-attached storage with a web interface, you could use the IP as I indicated.

As for not being able to use \\computername because it's not a computer... It should also have a NETBios name you could use. And, there could be share permissions getting in the way. As an example, some NAS devices can integrate directly with Active Directory.

Okay - good suggestions. Thanks. No active directory here, just individual PCs and the NAS HDD.

So, yes this suggestion worked (use IP address of NAS) \\10.1.10.10\public\fpc-shared But the key was using the IP address. Don't know why I didn't think of it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back