Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Users - Profile issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjhat10

MIS
Mar 13, 2002
US
Good day.

I have a Windows 2000 network, with several migratory users who just
started. They are using laptops with Windows XP Pro.

When they logon to the network, they receive their roaming profile which has
a stored local copy on their machine. But when they are off the network,
they are logging on to their local user account and profile.
My issue is that I want the domain user to be able to login when we are not attached to the domain. I have tried redirecting the local user profile to the stored copy of the domain user profile (on the local machine), but my Palm device does not synchronize, and I have other issues with applications.

Someone mentioned being able to enable offline logons for a domain account,
but I cannot even find reference to doing this. Is anyone familiar with a
good way to make this work effectively?

Thanks

Unless you changed the setting in Group Policy, I believe the default number of accepted "cached" logons is 10. You can find this on your Domain Policy under Computer Conffiguration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Number of Previous Logons to cache. In essence, this means that your users should be able to "log on" to the domain even if they're not connected to the network, and they will be assigned their roaming profile, which of course is the local copy of it, but it's the same....

Thanks for the Answer, I will try it.
I change this at the domain level and it should affect my laptops once they login correct?
I will give it a shot.
Thanks again

yes, change it at the domain level, restart your laptops while connected to the network and log in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back