Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross9789

Technical User
Mar 11, 2003
GB
OK,

Just set up a small network for a large family - 2 parents with 4 kids and we have a computer each, plus some.

Set the server up fresh and everything is running sweetly (after some minor problems with my vga drivers)

I even have roaming profiles working as planned except that the user documents are copied on to the local machine. I don't want this to happen, I want the profile to stay on the server and the server only.

The problem occurs when I have a huge amount of docs in my profile and try to log on to a machine with a purposefully small hard drive. The error comes up saying there is not enough room on the local machine and it won't let me log on.

Hence I want users to log on to the server and work from the server.

I think I may have to disable offline files in the terminal services/user config?

I am at work at the moment and can't test my theory so if anyone can confirm I would be grateful.

Thanks very much

G

Besides using roaming profiles, redirect the folders to a different location (like on the server). Those folders in the profile should then copy to the redirected location instead of the local hard drive.

Hmm, wouldn't that redirect everyone's data to the same folder though?

I want each persons to remain unique.

Through the use of Group Policy, you can just setup the redirection of folder for the single OG that has your user object in it.

Or set up a share, and point the user data to \\MyServer\MyShare\%username%, so users only save to their own shares. The same share can be used as the home dir.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back