Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecraig

MIS
Jun 14, 2001
US
I have created a profile in windows xp pro and copy this profile to a windows 2000 server. This profile is going to be use for roaming clients. The user that created the profile can use the profile but when other users logon they only get parts of the profile setting but not all of them. I am stumped on what could be wrong. Any help will be appreciated.

What is your users account showing for profile path?
If you open up you users and groups and look in your standard user account (you did create astandard user acoount and copy it to make new accounts right?) Go to the profile tab and you should see
\\PDCServerName\Profiles\%username%
Keith Connors
A+, Network +, MCP, CNA
Desktop Technician

The profile path is \\servername\profiles\student. The student is the folder were the profile is being stored. This UNC has be put in everyones profile section. I am still get the above problem.

Permissions? Does everyone have full control permissions to this profile folder and all its subfolders?

Is this profile meant to be fixed or changeable? (ie, if lots of users are using it, they can all update it unless you make it mandatory - change the ntuser.dat to ntuser.man).

How did you copy the profile from the XP machine to server in the first place? (eg, did you use the copy to facility from list of profiles in system properties)?

I have giving full permission to the profile folder and all subfolders. This profile is ment to be fixed. I will try changing it to a mandatory an see what happens. I did use the XP provided function fro coping profile to a folder.

Changing the profile to a mandatory profile worked, but my desktop backgound still will not transfer. Have any ideas?

Is it just the desktop background - cos I've had similar problem (using NT server rather than 2000). What seemed to solve it was copying the local profile I created to the default user profile on the local machine & then copying the default user profile to the server (don't know why, but when I did this, users got expected background).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back