Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profiles won't work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phototechman

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2009
US
Hello,

I just setup my AD domain using server 2008 R2 64bit that is running on a hyper-v setup. The ad server is hyper-v, the parent-physical box only runs the hyper-v role.

I can log in just fine to the domain from other PC's hooked up to it, I can attach the PC to the domain without problems.

But when I set the path to \\profiles\user1 it fails to load/save/or write anything back to that area. If I remove that path from the profile in AD, it loads up fine again.

I followed these steps
Create a folder on the server where user profiles will be stored. This will be the top-level folder that contains all the individual user profiles.

Configure the folder as a shared folder, and give all users Full Control permissions.

Open the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in and navigate to the individuals User object.

Right-click the user's name and click Properties on the shortcut menu.

Click the Profile tab.

For the Profile Path, type the path to the network share where the user profile is to be stored. For example, for a user whose network name is JDoe, the following path, \\NetworkShare\Profiles\%username%, would create a directory called JDoe in the Profiles share on the server used to store user profiles

All my pc's are vista business, when I log into my server 2003 domain it creates a user profiles with .v2 at the end of it and is found at \\profiles\user.v2. I don't even have to go in and tell it where to store the profile in AD on server 2003, it just does it. But on my server 2008 which I'm setting up, it won't create/save/ or load the roaming profile.

Any thoughts on this? I've checked file permissions, security settings, share settings and nothing works.

I wanted to add as well I have no firewalls running on the main box, or any of the hyper-v vm's.

There was no event id's showing on the server or the client. I ended up deleted the profile and share, rebuilt them and it worked.. however, a new problem just happened.

If I log in as domain or local admin to the AD server and go to view the profile it says I can't view it and I don't have the permissions. I change the owner to domain admin and i can view the files, but then the profile won't load for the client and I have to delete it and rebuild it again.

This happens on my server 2003 box but when I set the owner to domain admins it allows the client to still access the profile as well I can go into the profile and access the files.

Is there another account I can use on server 2008 to take ownership of a roaming profile but not corrupt it at the same time?

Do you need to take ownership? can you not just grant read rights to admin?

Allen White MCSE,MCSA,MCITP,MCTS,CCA,CCSP,VCP
IT Problems? the fix may be here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back