Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profiles to Folder Redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevehewitt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
GB
Hi guys,

Working in a network where all profiles are roaming. This is causing us various problems, and I'm looking into using folder redirection instead.

I've used both systems before, but I've never migrated from roaming to redirected. Anyone got any clues, tips or guides?

Is it just as simple as setting the GPO to redirect, give it a week or so (for everyone to have logged on) and then ditch the roaming profiles?

Cheers,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Typically what I have done in that situation, is remove the roaming profile settings and at the same time redirect the folder you want. In my case it was their desktop. Give it about 2 to 3 days. Then check the roaming profile folder to see if the "Last Assessed" or " Modified Date" has been changed. I would recommend that you leave the roaming profiles there for a few weeks if you can because you never know if someone is on vacation and wouldn't have logged in for some time.

You do know that you could have both things working at the same time, right? In our network everyone (about 85 users) have roaming profiles, and we redirect the My Documents folder to another server via GPO.

Thanks for the reply guys.

At the moment, we use roaming profiles and home drives/directories too. E.g users have a roaming profile and an "i" drive.

As we manually redirect the users My Docs to their I: location, it means that they have two places to store documents. Their My Documents is actually \\fileserver\%username%\My Documents, whilst their I: is \\fileserver\%username%\
This means that if I was to redirect their documents via a GPO, I wouldn't catch the stuff stored in their home drive....

Although I guess I could just script a copy, excluding their My Documents folder (as that would be covered via the GPO)

Anyway - I'm just thinking out loud now!

Cheers for your help,

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back