Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming profiles taking forever to login

Status
Not open for further replies.

EM64T

IS-IT--Management
Jan 20, 2003
US
Hello all,

I'm having problems with my roaming profiles taking over two minutes to load over the network. One profile in particular is taking 20+ minutes to load.

I have a number of directories excluded via the domain policy, pretty much everything under and including My Documents.

I am not using folder redirection. I have moved large files to the user's home directory (which is also their profile folder). I'm wondering if this is what is causing the problem, what exactly is the anatomy of the user profile? Is Windows copying the entire user home folder each time they login?

NTUSER.DAT is 2MB. 100Mbit to the workstation, 2GBit to the server and switch so I've got plenty of bandwidth.

Any ideas? I've been trying to read up on profiles but I'm obviously not finding any solutions.

Thanks guys.

First question - how is your DNS? No insult intended, but it would go a long way to convince me (and I suspect others) if you provided your DNS config from that 20 minute machine and the server... (I've had people say "it's right" only to later post it and discover it's not).

Once logged on, how large is the profile itself? Files on the desktop? What EXACTLY are you excluding? Are there event log messages regarding this?

You stated
I have moved large files to the user's home directory (which is also their profile folder).

so if you go to their "home" directory do you see the user's "my documents", "favorites", "desktop", etc.. or do you have to go into something like home\profile to see these folders? If you don't have to go to a child folder to view the my doc's and etc then YES it is copying all those files across. The user profile directory can be in the Home directory but you need to make it a subfolder of the home directory not the same directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back