Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profiles not updating - Event ID 1509

Status
Not open for further replies.

jer007

Technical User
Feb 16, 2004
CA
I have had this problem for the last while where 2 WXP workstations can not update their roaming profile to the WIN2003 DC. This is the error from the event log

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1509
Date: 2005-11-09
Time: 8:39:57 AM
User: DOMAIN\jeremy
Computer: PLANNING
Description:
Windows cannot copy file C:\Documents and Settings\jeremy.DOMAIN\NTUSER.DAT to location \\domain.local\share\profiles\jeremy\NTUSER.DAT. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - Access is denied.

I have checked the security settings on the folders and they all appear to be correct. I've checked the MS Help & Support centre and it doesn't give much.

I would appriciate any help you can offer.

Thanks.

look at your firewall settings tick file printer sharing see if that helps..

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."

Is the problem just for that one user?

Is this the first time the user has logged on so it is trying to upload a new profile to an empty directory on the server?

No, this is the case for my personal profile and one other person in our office. If there are more they haven't made me aware of it.

Schtek, I tried your suggestion but it didn't work.

If you look in the share is the whole profile there or just a couple of folders and the .DAT file.

I've had this same error before and it was down to the path throught the share been too deep, your path doesn't look too long but it's worth keeping in mind.

my path was \\users\accounts\username\profile\ntuser.dat

this path proved to be to long and the profile upload was unreliable, i shortened it to \\accounts\username\profile and it worked fine every time.

The full profile is there. I read Microsoft article KB826379 and they talked about updating the NetApp Filer to ONTAP Release 6.4.1D16. When I followed the link they provided it proved useless. I'm not sure if updating this NetApp filer would work, I can't even try it because I can't even find the update.

Are you using a netapp appliance?

This is an exaple of a share path that failed every time on my network

\\server\users$\Dept\username\Profiles

I shortened it to

\\server\Dept\username\Profiles

and it worked fine ever since. If i copied the profile manually once then it also continued to work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back