Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming profiles clean up tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olli1009

MIS
Jul 30, 2003
IL
Hi guys,

I was wondering whether some script or clean up tool exists, for deleting unneccessary data from the roaming user profiles automatically, i.e. .tmp files or all kinds of unneeded application data.

We have a 10MB limit for all users and most of them complain that even though they do not place any data on the desktop or in "my documents", their profiles get filled with junk, the Win XP station starts showing the "Your profile is over quota" error and it annoys them.

Any suggestions what can be done, apart from increasing the 10 MB quota?

Thanks!

You could use folder redirection to move many of the items to other areas. They could pointed back to local folders on the PC or to other server volumes with other quota limits.

An advantage if you redirect the My Documents folder outside the roaming profile is that it will not have to keep transfering those files every time the profile loads yet they will still be available from any PC. For laptop users, you can use the offline folders feature to keep a copy of the documents available locally.

You should also check the setting for the size of the cache in IE.

Thanks....I'm considering folder redirection but my supervisor is not thrilled at the idea :)
We mainly have problem with the users "Application data" folder, because many users have tons of different software and it places a lot of data into that folder...i don't suppose it's a good idea to redirect Appl. data folder?
We have no Quota limits elsewhere, so i am not sure i want to redirect this folder to some central server...

By the way, you said "You should also check the setting for the size of the cache in IE"

But i had the impression, IE cache is NOT part of the roaming profile?

I could have been wrong about the IE cache. I am trying to move our IT in the direction of roaming profiles but we are not there yet.

I can't think of a reason not to redirect the Application Data folder. Hopefully someone else will chime in and help us both out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back