Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

stretcher012599

Programmer
Nov 26, 2005
US
I setup a new user on my Windows 2000 server. I have a Dell Dimension 4100 computer with a fresh copy of Windows 2000 Pro with all Hot Fixes and Service packs installed. When I log into the Dell PC with the newly created user name and password, I login fine. When I logoff, the profile does not save to the server. The profile is set to roaming and all permissions seem ok. When I go to another Windows 2000 pro workstation in my office and try to login using the newly created user it also logs in fine. When I logoff, it does update the roaming profile. Why does the Dell PC not keep the roaming profile in synce. Why does it keep using the local profile? How can I fix this. Also the Error message in the Application Event Log is: Windows cannot unload your registry file. If you have a roaming profile, your settings are not replicated. Contact your administrator.

Try checking to see if Roaming profiles are disabled on the local machine. But then again you said you have the server configured to use roaming profiles, so that could be a stupid suggestion, but check it anyway. Check your Local Security Policy.

-=True wisdom comes from knowing you know nothing.=-

Try deleting that user's profile on the Dell (from another admin user of course) - using the delete profile option in system properties.

Then reboot and log on again - see if any better (I'm thinking there must be a corruption in the local profile - so best remove it and start again).

You didn't have any problems joining this Dell machine to the domain?

I have this exact same problem. I've tried everything I could think of. One thing I've noticed though, is that mine will only logon with a roaming profile (but it won't pull the profile from the server) and result in the errors you mentioned. If it's a mandatory profile it won't even logon, provides two errors advising couldn't copy file from the server and not enough resources to complete the requested task. Drove me up the wall. I HAD to get 2k on that machine, so I ghosted it with NT then done a horrible unformatted upgrade to 2k. It's served its purpose so far, but I didn't like it, and would much rather find out where I'm going wrong!

~A~

Obvious thing I missed - permissions (make sure the user concerned has full permissions to the profile concerned - the whole structure).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back