Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming profile update issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoda

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2008
BE
Hi,

We moved from a 2003SBS to a Standard 2003 a few month ago. We have 2 users with roaming profile, all other having laptop with local profile.

Those 2 users can't delete anything from theyr profile. When they logg off, they get a message saying the profile can't be update.
In the Application log there are 2 event :
- 1509 (can't copy ntuser.dat from local to server, detail : access denied)
- 1504(can't update roaming profile, detail : access denied)

Only deleting is a problem, adding new files is OK. Moving files is NOK, copying is OK.

Files permission on the server has been checked and user have full control and are owner of the folder.

profile path is \\server\users_profils$\user

I tried the following :
renaming the profile on the server while the user is offline and creating a new folder for the user.
Log in as admin on the PC and copying the local profile to the new folder created on the server (with the profile manager, not manualy). The copy failed the first time, then succeed.
user log on
deleting a file on the desktop
user log off -> same problem, profile not updated on the server.

What i don't understand is that in the properties windows of the user profile folder on the server, the "read only" check box is ticked grey out, meaning some file or folder are read only, but i can't find them!

Thanks for any help

Nico

what do your share permissions on 'userprofils$' look like??

renaming the profile on the server while the user is offline and creating a new folder for the user.

Don't create a new folder for the user. Just delete the old profile. Let the system create the roaming profile folder on the server the first time he logs on. See if that does anything.

regarding permissions on users_profils$ :
on the share level :
- everybody : read
- domain admins : full control
on the ntfs level :
- owner : full control
- system : full control
- everybody : read and execute
- Users : read and execute
- Users : special (create file and folder)

-> this last permission doesn't allow file/folder deletion for Users... I thought that was the issue and added delete permissions, but the problem is still there...

@pgaliardo : I tried that, but it doesn't copy the profile on the server, the system only use the local profile if no profile is detected on the server.

Try giving Everyone Full Control at the share level. I don't think READ is enough for the user's profile to be copied

Indeed, test done with everyone full control and update work fine when deleting file/folder.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back