Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming profile overwritten, everything lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccdriver

Instructor
Apr 25, 2002
US
At our school, we are currently using roaming profiles with a mix of mostly Win98 and a few XP Pro machines + 1 Win2000 PC. (FYI: This is a Windows2000 domain with Active Directory.)

My question only pertains to the Win2000 + XP machines. I had recently created a new group (on the server) and I added that group to the Power Users group (on the local machine) because a few "legacy" programs would not run otherwise.

A couple of programs did not retain settings with the PowerUsers so as an experiment, I added one of the students to the Admin (locally only) to see if the settings would "stick".

They did! BUT, in the process, the student's entire profile was recreated (it seems) and all her files gone.

Of course, I have since returned the student to the PowerUsers group and restored her files from tape.

What causes this? Is something wrong with the profiles? How can this be avoided? Why would the profile be deleted?

I'd appreciate any help here. Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back