Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming profile not updating on logoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

epod69

Programmer
Feb 11, 2005
US
Happy Holidays Everyone,
I am having a Roaming Profile problem with a user. To get strait to the point, files don't seem to update to the server during log off. If you delete a file on your desktop and restart the computer, the file comes back during log on. So it appears to synchronize with the server on log on but not log off. If you look at the NTUSER.DAT file on the server share where the roaming profile is pointed for that user, the modified date does not change after log off.

Here is what I have tried so far to resolve the problem:
1) Verify Security. The user has full control security permissions as well as ownership to all files, on the profile folder on the server. I reapplied the security and ownership to the entire folder just to make sure. The profiles folder sharing properties has full control for everyone.

2)Create New Profile. I renamed the user's profile folder (to .bak) and deleted the local profile on the user's computer. I then logged in as the user and it created a new profile on the computer and the server. I logged off and back on. I created a test file on the desktop and logged off. I logged back in and then deleted the file and logged back off. I logged back on and the file did not come back. I logged back off the user. I then from the server transfered the desktop and favorites from the backup profile on the server, to the new created profile. I logged back on as the user and after applying settings for a while, it finished logging me in and all the desktop files from the old profile were showing in the new one now. I then tested deleting a file and logging back in and the file was gone this time! It only took 15 minutes though for the user to call me back and say it is doing the same thing.

Here is a strange thing the user has figured out though. All the files I transfered back from the old profile, can't be deleted, meaning if you delete something and log off and back on, it shows back up. I did verify the permissions again and he has full control over the files. Although, if the use creates a brand new file now and then deletes it, it does NOT come back after logging out and back on. So it is just all the files I previously copied over that can't be deleted.

The next step I am going to take is to not do roaming profiles for this user and do only my document redirection. I am just very curious why with just this user I am having so much grief. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this kind of issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back