Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profile Not Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2002
GB
We run a Windows 2000 Server with Windows 2000 and Windows XP Pro clients.

ONE computer logs on and off fine (although it takes a long time when saving settings) however it does not update the roaming profile of the user. If you log on to any other machine it has an older profile. When you log back onto the rogue machine it copies the latest profile to itself. So you lose any files, history you make on this machine.

Any suggestions please. Otherwise I will have to reinstall the OS and apps...

We use roaming profiles here and they are terrible. Most of the problems we've found with roaming profiles required the deletion of the profile itself. We note down certain settings that we want to reset and then delete the entire folder off the local machine and on the network. Not a pleasant solution, but sometimes the only way to solve it.

This is why we try to have the least amount of stuff roam around the network.

Yves

I just read your post here thorswolf, and I'm wondering if you're trying to stay away from roaming, how would you address the problem of users needing to logon to several PC's throughout a W2k Server network? [ponder] Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back