Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profile issue (noncritical)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CitizenBleys

Programmer
Jul 12, 2003
CA
As a bonus step in the case study I've mentioned in my other post today, I decided to implement roaming profiles on a small, Native-mode domain. I set up a Profiles share on the first DC in the domain, and disabled client-side caching (ie Offline Files), and then pointed individual user accounts' Profile settings to a directory under that share (ie, \\vicious\profiles\asmith).

Roaming profiles work just fine for members of the Domain Admins group only. For everyone else, Windows 2000's default desktop settings appear whenever they log in. Although the computer will whine if the DC with the profile share is turned off. Additionally, users outside of the Domain Admins group (including Enterprise Admins) are unable to make any changes to the desktop even as much as disabling the annoying Personalized Menus "feature". The changes *are* written to their roaming profiles--I can make a bunch of changes, log off, and then go over to the DC (where I'm logged in as an admin), add the user to Domain Admins, and log back in, and all of the changes I made will show up. However, as soon as I take the user out of the Domain Admins group, the desktop reverts to the unchangable default setting.

No changes have been made to the default domain GPO. The first thing that I thought of was to check for a GPO setting, but Domain Admins have read and apply to every GPO in the domain, so they'd be affected by it, too.

Also, even Domain Admins have to manually set wallpaper on each machine they use, even though the wallpapers are shared on the network.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back