Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming profile help

Status
Not open for further replies.

claudz

MIS
Jun 2, 2003
PH
I'm currently having problems with emails regarding roaming profiles. I have several worskstations under windows NT. I know for a fact that during log-off and this process was terminated the copying of profiles to the server is terminated as well that's why it results to corrupted profiles. Corrupted profiles means loss of email also. Now i'm having problem bec. eventhough when the log-off process has finished, still some of my friends looses their email. PLease i need help on how to prevent this one from happening bec.. this usually happens.

thanks.

Hi,

I would adjust the profile settings to ensure that as little as possible is stored in the profile. Things like temporary internet files shouldn't get copied up to the server (just deleted from the workstation) and email should be on the server in a directory outside the profile.
These things should reduce the size of the profile quite considerably, and as a result reduce the time taken to upload and download.

John

If the profile is saved & restored properly, and its not a mandatory profile, you shouldn't lose any data (like emails). If profile doesn't save properly when logging off, next time user logs on (same machine) they should be prompted that roaming profile is older than local - do they want to overwrite. They should say know (so they keep latest version - which is copy on local drive). When they log off next, assuming profile saves ok, all should be ok. But if they agree to let older roaming profile overwrite newer local one, then they will lose the 'difference' - items stored since roaming profile updated.

If users use several machines, if roaming profile save fails, they will need to log back on to same machine, keep local version and log off again - until save works properly.

If you are getting many failures on saving profiles, might be worth looking at your network/size of profiles (eg, give users an area of the server for their documents that's not part of profile - reduces size of profile).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back