Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profile/ Disk Space error

Status
Not open for further replies.

overmonkey

Technical User
May 15, 2002
US
Hi friends,

My client has a win2K server acting as DC for eight win2K clients and 2 WinXP laptops. We are using roaming profiles (I didn't set it up, and in fact barely understand it) and we are experiencing some errors on logon for one client. He has about 8G on the server, and his PC has about 2.7G free. The logoff times are excruciatingly long, but more importantly, when he tries to logon, after a reboot this afternoon, he gets an error message stating that his profile cannot be loaded due to a lack of disk space. There is over 15GB free on server.

What I need is to know if the issue is server or client based, if anyone else has run across this, and I'd be very grateful for some links to better understand roaming profiles.

Thanks in advance.

Ned

Put user profiles on a member server rather than on a domain controller to speed up the process of authentication and to avoid using a domain controller's processing power and bandwidth for the downloading of profiles. In addition, place the profiles on a server that is backed up regularly so that copies of roaming profiles are as recent as possible.

Setting up roaming profiles is very easy. Simply assign a location on a server and complete the following steps:

Create a shared folder for the profiles on the server.
On the Profile tab in the user account Properties window, provide a path to the shared folder, such as \\server_name\shared_profile_folder\%username%.

Once you've created a shared profile folder on a server and supplied a profile path in the user account, a roaming profile is enabled. The user's configuration of his or her desktop is copied and stored on the server and will be available to the user from any computer.

Hope this will help.

In Windows 2000, certain applications and services keep registry keys open after the user logs off, preventing Windows from unloading the user's registry. When this occurs, profiles become locked and changes that users have made to their profiles are not saved to the server. This situation creates problems for users.

Because locked profiles are never unloaded, they use excessive memory on computers on which many users must log on (such as terminal servers).

Well, there's only one server here - the DC. I did manage to resolve this, sort of, by deleting his path to the profile under his properties in AD.

New issue, which I thinkis tied to profiles as well, is a sudden slowdown in network browsing. I've been surfing here for a few hours today with no joy.

Would deleting/creating a profile wipe out stored files? What would be the process for recreating a profile? Should I consider rebuilding the computer account as well?

Hi Friend,

You need to set permissions for the romaing profile directory for this user to Red/Write and this will correct your problem.

Good Luck!

As the problem occurs when logging ON, it would appear to be a local (client) problem. How much hard drive space does the client have free? Has it been recently degragged?
Could be wrong, but it seams intuitive to me.
As for access rights - you want FULL, not just read-write from what I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back