Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Road Runner connection/configuration to laptop? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

swizzy

Technical User
Apr 2, 2004
US
I wonder if any of you brilliant tech folks could give me some advice/tips concerning Road Runner.

How do I connect Road Runner to my laptop? Is there a particular configuration? I was using dial-up before.
I have a IBM ThinkPad, using Windows 2000.

How do I find out if my laptop has a 10baseT Ethernet (USB) connection available? I purchased it in 2002.
What does the USB plug-in look like in the back of my
laptop?

Any advice would be most helpful and very much appreciated.

Miss Swizzy

10base10/100 connectors are RJ45 and look like a phone jack(RJ11) but have 8 wires. If that is the case then plug the output of the RR modem into the RJ45plug on your laptop.
Cable modems use DHCP so ensure the your laptop is set for DHCP. If RR provided the modem then they know the mac Address if you bought it yourself you will have to notify them of the address so they can authorize you.

If the modem you have has a USB jack it will be flat, about 3/4" wide and 1/4' high, match it to the (perhaps) available port on your lt.

pc.gif

Jomama

Thank you Jomama, appreciate the advice.

One more question. If I normally use dialup on my laptop and want to switch periodically to the Road Runner connection while I travel, is there any necessary changes that I need to make in my Network Connections (properties)?

Would the Ethernet card that I insert in my laptop with the jack that I hook up to the RR overwrite the dialup settings?

Your helpful advice is most appreciated indeed.

Miss Swizzy

Assuming your dialup is DHCP also, just dont insert the ethernet card unless you want to use RR

pc.gif

Jomama

Thank you Jomama46, you da bomb! [thumbsup2]

Miss Swizzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back