Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RMAN configuration of channel - can't clear or reset 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJSFoxPro

Technical User
Jun 19, 2003
US
I am setting up a new database to use RMAN. While configuring RMAN, I mistyped. I have cleared all configuration settings back to default, but cannot clear or reset a channel device type. The current setting that is NOT correct, using show all, is:
CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE 'DISK' FORMAT '/vg06lvol1/oradata/brdt/rman/bkp_';

When I query v$rman_configuration, I get a single row. All other values are default. The incorrect configuration shows up as:
CONF# NAME VALUE
----- ------- ----------------------------------------------
5 CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE 'DICKSK' FORMAT '/vg06lvol1/oradata/brdt/rman/bkp_'

I have tried to clear and reset this configuration. I get a message from RMAN that it was successfully cleared, however, when I query, it is still as above. Clearly (!), I should not have used quotes, but regardless, there should be a way to clear, reset, or delete this entry.

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to fix this entry? I can only find documentation for clear and reset.

Thanks!

What was the exact command you used? I didn't have any trouble at all clearing the messed-up channel on one of my own test databases.

Code:
(configure bad channel in rman)
CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE 'DISKSK' FORMAT '/vg06lvol1/oradata/brdt/rman/bkp_';

(verify bad channel setting)
select * from v$rman_configuration;
CONF# NAME    VALUE
----- ------- ----------------------------------------------
1 CHANNEL
DEVICE TYPE 'DISKSK' FORMAT   '/vg06lvol1/oradata/brdt/rman/bkp_'

(clear channel)
CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE 'DISKSK' CLEAR;

(verify that channel has been cleared)
select * from v$rman_configuration;

no rows selected

I was successful. Here's what I did and what the problem was:

(Verify bad channel setting)
SYSTEM>select * from v$rman_configuration;
CONF# NAME VALUE
----- -------- ---------------------------
5 CHANNEL
DEVICE TYPE 'DICKSK' FORMAT '/vg06lvol1/oradata/brdt/rman/bkp_'

("Attempt" to clear bad channel setting - typing in the command as it "appears")
RMAN> CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE 'DICKSK' CLEAR;
old RMAN configuration parameters are successfully deleted

(Verify the channel has been cleared - it's still there!)
SYSTEM>select * from v$rman_configuration;
CONF# NAME VALUE
----- -------- ---------------------------
5 CHANNEL
DEVICE TYPE 'DICKSK' FORMAT '/vg06lvol1/oradata/brdt/rman/bkp_'

("Attempt" to clear bad channel setting - this time, copy/paste from SQL*Plus. NOTE: I copied the string 'DICKSK ' from SQL*Plus. When I pasted into RMAN it appeared 'DIS. I typed in the rest.)
RMAN> CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE 'DISK' FORMAT '/vg06lvol1/oradata/brdt/rman/bkp_';

new RMAN configuration parameters:
CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE 'DISK' FORMAT '/vg06lvol1/oradata/brdt/rman/bkp_';
new RMAN configuration parameters are successfully stored

(Verify the channel has been cleared - yes, it has!)
SYSTEM@NHBRDT>select * from v$rman_configuration;

no rows selected

The 'DICKSK ' I was "seeing" in SQL*Plus, actually had embedded characters in it. When I performed a copy/paste from SQL*Plus into RMAN, it came in with the embedded characters and the delete succeeded. Yesterday, when I continually typed in these commands (what I was "seeing"), it wasn't working. Once I did the copy/paste, it was fine. When I originally configured this channel, I must have backspaced to correct a typo. Although I could not "see" the backspace, it was embedded in the string! Beware the terminal emulator settings!

Thank you! Your suggestion was helpful in that it confirmed that I was using the correct commands.

Appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back