Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rlogin to grep or capture a file on remote host?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warmpapi

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2000
US
Is there a way to use rlogin to grep or capture a file on a remote host. I am working on a SCO version of UNIX and am trying to rlogin or even telnet into a system that is running (pseudo) VxWorks. I would like to capture a config file on this beast onto my local machine?

Anybody have any ideas?

Yeah, I looked into that...But I need to have the same id on both machines. I'll have to have the vendor create an ID for this....But I thought there was a way to do it just using rlogin.

Thanks

If you're on a network of Solaris computers like this, and you know that the man pages are installed on another workstation named "FRegal", the solution is simple. Simply run the man command on FRegal, like this:

# rsh FRegal "man ls" | more
This runs the "man ls" command on FRegal, and pipes the output of the command into the "more" command on your machine.

if you to cat a file

# rsh Fregal cat /etc/passwd | more

or can also rcp

# rcp -r <hostname>:/directory /directory
# rcp <hostname> file1 file2

Farah regal
good luck
&quot;think twice and hit enter once&quot;

Yeah...But this is a pseudo version of VxWorks...it only has an rlogin daemon and telnet daemon running. Someone told me their was a trick in using rlogin where i could specify the acount, password, command to be executed (like a copy/cat or something), then it would put the file on the local machine. I can't figure it out. Trying to research it though so i could put it in a script.

Try &quot;rexec&quot;.

All of the &quot;r&quot; commands (rcp, rexec, rlogin) will need some form of authentication though.

Bill.

Thanks everyone...I went another route...

There is also an http deamon running on the box, so I found some source code for an http executable on the internet. I compiled the source code, ran it against the box and was able to write the files from the remote system onto my local host. Now I am able to do complete backups without neglecting some devices on our cable headend.

Sweet

Thanks again everyone...

Happy Holidays!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back