Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rlogin passwordless login on localhost

Status
Not open for further replies.

herzel

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2003
IL
Hi
We had been asked by some client of us to enable him "rlogin" to localhost with the "-l" option something like:
"rlogin il-nms -l josef"
while il-nms is localhost and josef is the user all from root account.
well i know linux/unix staff and i did install rsh-server rpm. enabled with chkconfig the rsh, rexec and rlogin services and restarted xinetd .
i also inserted in the user home dir .rhosts with "il-nms" entry and chmod it to 644 looks all ok.When I do "su - josef " and rlogin to "il-nms" (localhost) it is working only when i try to rlogin with -l from root to the client account as i mentioned before :

[root@il-nms etc]# rlogin il-nms -l josef
I do have prompt for password!

can anyone advice why when i rlogin from root or some other user to localhost the password is not needed to be supplied only when i do it with the -l option it is not working?
The OS is RedHat linux AS 5.1
B.R
And thanks in advance

I could be wrong, but I thought rhosts needed to be 600.
Been a long time since I worked with that.

You're correct, mrregan. Also the host names involved must be in /etc/hosts, even if you normally use DNS to resolve them.

Linux distributions often replace rlogin and friends with a Kerberos version which may involve a different setup procedure for passwordless authentication, so it's worth checking exactly which version of rlogin you are using. Try rpm -qf `which rlogin` to find out which package it is part of.

Annihilannic.

If you are following Khalid's good advice, you can just create a symbolic link from rlogin to slogin, which is an rlogin work-alike included with SSH.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back