Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RJ45 Y-adapter to duplicate PRI signal to call recording server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

surferx0

Technical User
Nov 19, 2010
US
I have currently have a PRI running to a PBX with Cat5e cable and am needing to add a call recording server (Oaisys) which comes with a Dual T1/PRI voice board. We are needing to do trunk-side recording, and the vendor's documentation specifies to use a RJ-45 Y-jack to split the PRI coming from the demarc, with one cable going to the PBX and the other cable (cross-over) going to the voice board on the server.

However it does not specify the exact type of Y-jack to use, and most of them I've found in local stores seem to be for splitting the 4 pairs in a Cat5 cable into 2 sets of 2 pairs at both ends to avoid making an extra cable run which I'm almost positive will not work in this application.

My gut is telling me this is the wiring diagram I need for the splitter, as it doesn't try to split the pairs and move them to different positions like many of the consumer splitters do and simply duplicates everything:

Also I don't particularly like using such a flimsy device for this application that will just be floating around and was hoping I could get suggestions on something that might be a little more reliable and solid (at the very least something I can mount) as well as suggestions on what proper Y-adapter would be called for. Thank you for any help that you can provide.

SUTTLE Apparatus make a Modular Adapter, the 400S, which has an 8C8P to 8C8P configuration X2. You can download their catalogue or call them for more info: Oaisys provided NO documentation on their website to see what their specifications are...

Btw, DS1 connections use RJ48C or RJ48X type wiring arrangements from the service provider! RJ45 is a TIP/RING with padding resistor wiring arrangement for a specific modular jack! The PROPER description is MODULAR PLUG or MODULAR JACK, then specify the contacts & pins, 8C8P, 6C4P, etc. This makes it easier to know exactly what we are discussing!

....JIM....

I would simply make one using two cat5 modular jacks. Some equipment already has a monitor port that you may be able to utilize.
Mike

Thank you for the correction. The documentation does specifically label the connections as RJ45 however is probably technically incorrect like you say as the documentation focuses more on administration and less on engineering and installation. Those Suttle adapters do seem to fit the bill on what I need though, definitely appreciate the help.

You could very easily chain all 8 pins on 3 keystone 8 pin jacks and reverse tx and rx on 3rd jack you wouldn't need a crossover cable for feed to voice board by reversing the blade on your punchdown tool for second jack !

Thanks for the star!

Unfortunately too many companies have fixated on incorrect reference to Modular Plug & Jack equipment, and the MISuse of the "RJ" designation, especially the IT people! They seem to have adopted it as their own for data, when data never had any, and was never part of the FCC Part 68 Registered Jack program.

....JIM....

Lurker here with a silly question:

Can you simply parallel two T1 devices on a single line, or is the "Dual T1/PRI voice board" in the server a special device that listens on both the Transmit and Receive pairs?

I would figure if it is in parallel, it would have to be a "bridged monitor" type of connection in order not to load or affect the existing DS1 signal envelope for it to work. Since I could not find any Oaisys downloadable documents to provide further info, this is my guess!

...JIM....

You should ask Oaisys why they don't have the docs and stuff downloadable on their website!

So my assumption was right! They are using a high impedance monitor circuit for both TX & RX with a cable length limitation because of signal loss and circuit loading.

....JIM....

So it all did function correctly with a modular adapter. My question now would be along the lines of a more proper cable installation. I terminated the cable run from the demarc into a 110 block, then a short cable to the modular adapter with the 2 cables on the other end running to the PBX and server.

The modular adapter though is just hanging in line with the cables, and am wondering if this is acceptable or if there is a better and more proper way of doing this. The length limits as described before are preventing any sort of wall mounting of the adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back