Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RJ45 to RS-232 Db 25 and Db9

Status
Not open for further replies.

SysAdmMke

Technical User
Jan 18, 2006
US

I am making a straight cable db25 to db9 connection using CAT 5 wiring. What I am wondering is what is the standard for the color code for serial communications?

Thanks
Mike

No standard that I have ever seen. There are standards for the pins in a D connector but no standard on colors used there. And no standards on the RJ45 with regards to RS232 transmission.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

That is why in the old days we called it "the RS232 NON-standard"! Now they call it EIA232C or is it D, but it is still NON-standard or what ever you can get away with!

....JIM....

This is what was listed in an equipment's manual. I have used it as a defacto standard. I hope you find this helpful.

Signal RJ45 Pin
TXD 3
RXD 6
DTR 2
DSR 8
DCD 7
RTS 1
CTS 5
GND 4

The color code on the RJ-45 to DB-X adaptors are:
1 Blue
2 Orange
3Black
4 Red
5 Green
6 Yellow
7 Brown
8 White

When cabling up a DB9 connector, I ususlly put Black to pin 2, Yellow to pin 3, and Red to pin 5. I don't usually use the other wires as I typically either edon't use handshaking or I short RTS (DB9 pin 7) and CTS (DB9 pin 8)together.

Actually what I was wondering if the color codes from RJ45 to DB9 to DB25 were.

Example:

Blue - Pin 2 on DB9
Blue/White - Pin 3 on DB9
Orange - Pin 4
Orange/White pin 5 on DB9

Or do I just make up my own colors? I am just saying if there was a standard for this I would follow it.

Thanks
Mike

For DB9
Black to pin 2
Yellow to pin 3
Red to pin 5
The rest do not matter unless you are using handshaking. If using RTS & CTS, use Blue to pin 7 & Green to pin 8.

For DB25
Yellow to pin 2
Black to pin 3
Red to pin 7
If you need RTS & CTS
Blue to pin 4
Green to pin 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back