Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RJ45 (F) to DB9 (M) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaz0181

MIS
Jun 20, 2006
GB
Hello,
Does anybody have a wiring diagram to configure a rj45(f) to db9 (m) adapter? It has to be wired as crossover (null-modem). Any info would be much appreciated.

Here is what my notes say:

DB 9 null modem plug
1 nc
2 red
3 green
4 white
5 black
6 blue
7 brown
8 orange
9 nc (tape yellow)

Or this covers both straight (II) and crossover (X) for both 9 and 25 pin connectors:

Modular - Serial (RS-232)
II X II X
DB9 Co Fn DB25
3 2 Rd TD 2 3
2 3 Gr RD 3 2
7 8 Or RTS 4 5
8 7 Br CTS 5 4
5 5 Bk GND 7 7
1 - Yl DCD 8 -
4 6 Bu DTR 20 6
6 1/4 Wh DSR 6 8/20

I would suggest a google search for D9 connector specifications for the signals required for it. RJ45 specifications are pretty much at the choice of whoever is supplying the signals. Is there a manual available?

It might help if you told us where the RJ45 signals come from. Possibly a multiport card?

RS232 interconnections for data interchange can be wierd, so be prepared for experimenting.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

sure - its to connect a console server- OpenGear CM4000 series to a Sun Storedge 3310/3320.

From what I have seen, pins 3 & 6 of the RJ-45 are TX and RX, and pin 4 is signal ground. On the RJ-45 to DB-9 adaptor, they are often the Black, Yellow, and Red wires.

Here are the RJ-45 jack to wire colors on all of the adaptors I have used:
1 BLUE
2 ORANGE
3 BLACK
4 RED
5 GREEN
6 YELLOW
7 BROWN
8 WHITE

When pinning out the DB-9 connector, I typically start with BLACK on pin 2 and YELLOW on pin 3, RED always goes to pin 5. I usually do not use handshaking for my serial connections. If you are crossing TX & RX, swap the YELLOW and BLACK leads into the DB-9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back