Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rising and falling edge trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

agunos

Technical User
Mar 18, 2002
US
Is it possible to trigger off both the rising and falling edge of the clock? I try doing this a nubmer of ways and when I go to synthesize, I get errors. All the examples I have seen only incorporate rising edge clock triggers. Thanks for any help. Hopefully I have given enough information.

No, you cannot trigger a design with both rising_edge and falling edge of the clock. This is invalid.

Of course u can do it

Clk'event and (clk='1' or clk='0')

This probably shouldn't have any problem.Any way I don't get the purpose of u trying this.If u could tell me the exact context I'd appreciate it.

srikanth

No the code is not synthesisable.But
in a simulation point of view,This is correct

Hi Srika,

I would like to clarify that when I said triggering something on both edges of CLK is invalid, I definetely meant in persepective of SYNTHESIS only.

After all, what is the issue if something can be simulated, but cannot put into a chip?

RAVI.

Hi,
I think that it depends on the target device if it support both rising or falling edge
Avi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back