Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Risc6000 7013 J30 in Newbies Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z0rb1234

Programmer
Sep 13, 2008
US
Hello All,

Not sure where to go to ask some questions so I'll give this area a shot.

I have just recently inherited an IBM Risc 6000 J30 7013. I have the base unit, expansion box, two RANs, and two tape drives. The SCSI drives have been wiped clean. I do have AIX and Universe to install on this, if I can get that far.

At this point I really just want to be able to get a BUMP/Service console working on it. I have a 3151 terminal for it.

I know I am suppose to hook up the BUMP console to S1, but does this need to be routed through a null modem or just a straight pass serial cable?

As of right now. I can power on the unit and it scrolls through all the BIST/POST codes on the front panel, and it just seems to cycle through codes 102 a few others then stop on 165, then up to 299 and then back to 102. It flashs up the diskette drive, the cd-rom and then the two on board scsi drives when in service mode.

Can anyone shed some light on this. I have been reading both the service manual and the operator manual for this but neither mention how I am suppose to hook the BUMP console up to S1.

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Mike T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back