Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RIS without PXE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnovr

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
NL
I got a windows2000 server with ris installed , got old terminals without PXE boot on the nic, what can i do ?

I guess you should use Remote Boot Floppy Generator (rbfg.exe) to generate a bootable floppy for your NIC.

But it does only support a fixed set of NIC's. And as far as I remember it does not support ISA Cards.

Good luck.

You can create some boot disks. however there is only a small set of nics that is supported by microsoft...

From windows Help:

You use the Remote Installation Services boot disk with client computers that do not contain a remote boot–enabled ROM. The boot disk simulates the PXE boot process for machines lacking a formal remote boot ROM. For more information on the PXE boot process, see PXE architecture.

The boot disk is analogous to a boot ROM, which uses the floppy drive to install the operating system from the remote installation server. The remote boot disk–generating utility (Rbfg.exe) included with Windows 2000 Server is located in the following folder:
\\Server name\Share name\REMINST\Admin\I386\Rbfg.exe

Server does not support the nic at the bootdisk setup, What can i do ? i got nic drivers.

How old is old? 386's, 486's, or some really old pentiums. Sorry Arnovr, I'm not trying to be funny, although, I would like to have a better idea of what you are trying to do, and what you have to do it with.

If the computer doesn't support PXE and the network card isn't supported by the rbfg disk, then you have another option. Format your hard drive with FAT32 and use a dos boot disk that logs onto the network and connects to a network share. From there, you can do a network install by running the WINNT.EXE program from over the network. For a good boot disk, Look for Bart's Boot Disk at

Cudo's to Greeneyedlady for providing this link to me.

Since we are speaking about RIS, has anyone successfully used RIPREP on a XP machine with RIS running on Win2k? I am unable to make an image of my XP clients.

Yes, it does work on XP machines with RIS running on Win2k server. We've made tons of images using this (large corporate environment) and it works like a charm. Just make sure you have an appropriate XP cd image uploaded to the RIS server to base your images off of.

Also the KB811493 patch changes the system version so often times unless you have a super updated CD image uploaded that patch will keep Win2k/XP machines from running RIPREP properly.

Nater006,
What did you mean when you said:
Just make sure you have an appropriate XP cd image uploaded to the RIS server to base your images off of.

I have used RIS to make the first image copy of XP. This default install works fine. I now want to make a image of a prototype pc that I have installed Office and some other app on to it. When I run RIPREP I get a error:

---------------------------
Missing CD Image on Server
---------------------------
The RIS server to which you are attempting to post this installation does not contain the correct CD-based image. The version of the CD-based image on the server must match the version of the system you are attempting to image [Version 5.1 Build 2600, Language English]. Please either select a different RIS server to post this installation to or add the corresponding CD-based image to the current RIS server.

I have tried everything I can find on Technet. Im going to check out the links that MRptt suggested. Am I doing something wrong making my image?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back