Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RIS installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyoAD

Technical User
Aug 5, 2002
SG
Hi all,

Currently i am using RIS to install OS for a group of client computers. However, is there also a way to use RIS to fully automate the installations? Say for example, i can schedule the machines to 'wake up' at certain timing and then to install the OS automatically from the RIS? I have been testing out but seems to have no luck..

Can this be accomplished by scripts or any other methods?

Thanks!!

I have been told by a Dell tech who gave us a training about the IT assistant, that it also has a command line option.

this will allow you to script everything -
- send wakeup calls (network wakeup must be enabled)
- do bios updates
- force a pxe boot

but.... I have never explored this myself.

Hi MIS,

Currently i already have RIS in my environment but i find it very tedious if i have to do the installation physically at each machine everytime. Furthurmore i have to do this on a regular basis. I am also exploring other alternatives than RIS

Hi prinand,

Do u have any url that directs to the IT assistant? Is this a proprietry product of Dell and can only be used on Dell machines?

Hi Kyoad,

Just read your forum on RIS and wanted to ask you on the procedure requirements to using this application? I have only installed RIS on my server using the RISETUP command and am wondering if I wanted to execute this on a client computer running let's say W2KP if I need to do the same?
Any input to this would be appreciated.

tekguy88

Hi tekguy88,

You do not have to do the same at the client side. Simply make sure that your clients has the requirements for RIS and network boot.

Hi all again,

It always occurs in my mind if it would be possible to edit the boot image in my RIS folder? Say for example, i need to edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

I am in the process of setting up RIS and i can't seem to get the DHCP entries correct. I have RIS setup on a Win2k server called issvr. It is NOT my DHCP server but i have authorized it. both issvr and dhcp contain entries for
006 Dns server = 1.1.1.1
066 Boot Server host name = issvr
067 Boot file name = h:\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\PxeBoot.img (tried h:\RemoteInstall\OSChooser\i386\ntldr)

the machines are dell gx270's so the pxe is good
when they boot they get an ip + gateway
PXE-T01: File Not Found
PXE-E3b: TFTP error - File Not Found
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

i think i have a syntax problem in my boot file name.

little help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back