Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RIS, Compaq Evo 510, Intel NIC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gruttepier

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2002
NL
I want to install Windows XP from a RIS-server, we use Compaq pc's through our whole company. We have no problems with installing windows XP on all the other pc-series from Compaq.
I have tried everything to get the right drivers for the Evo 510 and the Intel NIC. But everytime the installation stops with the notification that the right NIC drivers are not availible.
Please help, I'm getting a little crazy here.....

Also, if you want more precise details, like just for network cards, look up article 246184 on the MS Knowledge base.

It worked for me on a certain network card, but I never got my Intel Pro 100/S to start up on it, but this was a flaw with the Toshiba I had.

If not, Intel also has a nice page about RIS serves and how to install the tools for Intel during the PXE boot up to update your BIOS of Intel cards and run diagnostic tools... (I don't have the actual link), but you can find it on the Intel support.

I know about the technet atricles and I've did it over and over again with several drivers from Intel and Compaq, but it still doesn't work.

I read that it is something special about the Compaq Evo 512, with integrated Intel NIC

Some cards just don't work with it unless you update the BIOS of the network card. There is a minimum version needed (2.1 I think) for the PXE. I know that my Toshiba had a lower version (like 2.0) and I couldn't upgrade the BIOS (for reasons I won't get into), so basically, I gave up on it and installed it by hand.

To be honest, I think there are only like 4 or 5 types of cards that are supported by Microsoft for the RIS install.... It doesn't mean that you can't make certain cards work, but let's say that don't expect every card to start up properly.

I had a similar problem with Compaq Evo D500s. Try this:

download the NIC driver for that PC from the HP website

Copy the contents of the E100B driver disk into \\RISServer\REMINST\Setup\English\Images\win200.pro\i386

Overwrite files if required.

from the same directory rename or delete E100bnt5.sy_
(If you do not rename this file, the worksations will blue screen whilst trying to build)

Next, follow microsoft article Q246184 for adding other drivers

Hope this helps...

Glenn
BEng MCSE CCA

Glen,

Is the win200.pro the cd image or the client image?

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

What I mean by client, is what RIS uses to install your client.

To use the intel pro nic cards you must modify the answer file, and add the drivers to the image directory, there is a walkthrough on the Intel site one of which is found here It can take a bit to get the files in all the places, and if you search the intel site there is a download specifically for RIS with a document on where and how to do the setup. It is possible to do a ris with the intel nics, i have done it quite a few times, but did not keep my documentation, as it was at a previous employers office and i was not permitted to remove a copy for my own records.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back