Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Riptide vs. Sound blaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanman223

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
US
Hope someone can help me out with this. I'm not very familiar with sound cards, but I've been thinking about buying a new set of speakers for my PC, an HP 8668C 650mhz running Windows 98 with a Conexant Riptide (?) sound card (or at least that's what I think it is). I'm considering a set of Creative Labs Inspire 4.1 Surround Speakers or the 5.1 system. My question is: do I need a different sound card to run these either of these speaker systems? The Inspire 4.1 system recommends a Soundblaster Live 5.1 card to get the best results for surround sound and to drive the center channel, but will either of these sets work with the sound card that I currently have? And if not, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced card that will drive these speakers? Or recommend the cheapest place to buy the SB Live 5.1 card? Thanks in advance.

Well, an important thing that you have to know: Riptide is not a sound card, because it is BAD. Yes, VERY BAD because all of the work is emulated by the processor => CPU is often busy.
A Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Bulk is a good choice. In Europe, it cost about 47 €.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back