Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ripping a site for offline distribution - Javascript uncooperative...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen455

Technical User
Jan 18, 2007
US
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum to be posting this in, please move it or tell me if there's a better place...

A colleague of mine has an academic website that he'd like to distribute/archive on CD. I offered to help, thinking that it would be a simple matter of just copying the site's directory into a new folder, and then using Dreamweaver or some site-ripping software to make the appropriate changes to the links.

The problem I have run into is that the site uses a Javascript -based animated menu for navigation. So far I have tried using WebCloner and SurfOffline to rip the site, but with both I run into similar problems... namely that the ripping software doesn't follow the links in the menu, and the menu itself doesn't show up when I open the ripped index.htm.

I'd prefer not to post the URL of the site here, but I'd be happy to PM it to anyone who might have an idea or tip for me... thanks a lot, I hope I'll have good news to tell my friend!!

Thanks,
Allen

Hi

Indeed, this in not a browser issue.

In slightly similar situations I just copy the images manually to the locations from where the JavaScript tries to load them.

Feherke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back