Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ringdown line configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITJLS

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2023
US
Hello, i have read through past threads on ringdown lines and I may have the wrong term. We have emergency phones that ring our local security office only. I suspect they are not circuit based ringdown lines. Also, i am configuring Video Camera door access which will also have the same function as the emergency phones. Once the button is pressed it rings our security office and they buzz the door.
Is it correct to say they are also ringdown lines?

Hello ITJLS
yes they can be ringdown circuits or they may just dial themselves when the button is pushed / receiver is lifted.

Emergency phones that are on an extension of a phone system can be usually programmed to dial a certain number when the receiver is lifted. Door phones have usually a controller that then takes over the dialing process.

Ringdown circuits are usually by the provider a "real" analog line that is then programmed to dial a certain number and the programming is in the provider's central office. They are a rare because systems can take over the functions and it is cheaper to do it there.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

When used between extensions on a phone system it's often called a "hotline" (or "internal hotline"). Check your system's programming/administration manual.
Ringdown circuits are common in financial trading companies and some security scenarios, and do involve outside trunks (generally all digital these days).

Most security stations would run off of the phone system as per libellis above, the hotline is programing to dial the security's ext #.

As an example, sites such as city run pools with the red phones will have a "ring down circuit" to 911.

It's best to find out what PBX is on site (if any) and call the vendor for a site visit since they wired/programmed it.
Tip, see if the security phone shows on the display caller id or just a name or ext #.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

All good info. I have confirmed we do not have any Ringdown line circuits. So they are all considered Hotlines( That was the term i was looking for). They all have extensions that go back to our Avaya CM and programed with COV paths to ring lines.

Ok, so i am not using Hotlines either. Our emergency phones (Code Blue phones we call them) are configured to dial an extension to a COV path to our security office. Same with our door access devices. Button pushed just goes to an extension that gets dialed. This was a lessoned learned. I was told one thing and now its another 🤷‍♂️

and now back to the "one thing", lol...

"are configured to dial an extension to a COV path"
That is exactly what Hotline is.

These Blue phones are programmed as Hotline to call the COV path's DN.
This means if you pickup the handset and it dials automatically, then that is programmed as hotline.
If you had to dial the COV path DN manually then it is not programmed as hotline.

In configuration you would see this under the DN of the particular phone in most cases.

Is this an Avaya PBX?
If you need more info on the PBX:
A list of other forums are in the Wiring Closet.
You also click the tiny text "Wiring Closet" under "My Forums" top left of any page.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back