Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ring Generator issues with Option 61C 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2004
US
Thru trial and error I am thinking the ring generator on our Option 61C has given up the ghost. It seems none of the analog lines on that shelf are ringing (fax machines in this case) This is for DC. The tower has the red light on in the upper left corner.

I ordered a replacement NT6D42CD card that replaced the NT6D42CC card that was in there. I replaced the card and flicked on the toggle switch and nothing. It is doing the same thing as the other card. If I flick it off it very lightly flashes green but no light when I power it on.

I reached out to a former Nortel Tech and he said he has never had to do anything other than put the new card in and toggle the on switch.

Do I need to power down the column or is it possible I got a bad replacement card?

Thanks in advance

Possibly a Faulty Power Supply Unit, one of he various voltages supplied by the PSU is for ring gen.

Is that the PE Power Supply NT6D40AD located directly located to the left of the ring generator?

Easy swap if I purchase another?

Pull the system monitor out after you disable that tty and see if the trouble clears, my guess is it will. Very doubtful it's the PS. More than likely a faulty Sys Mon Card

Could you tell me how to do what you just mentioned? I know my way around with basic stuff but I haven't done anything like that

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info so far. I talked with our old tech and he had he go into LD 37 and do an STAT XSM

Nothing came back except IOD300 0

I pulled the back of the pedestal off and looked at the system monitor card. There is nothing plugged into any of the ports.

How would I pull that card out without dropping the whole system?

They are made to be hot swappable. But you should disable the TTY (usually TTY0) before you swap it out. And make damn sure that the one going in has it's dip switch settings the exact same as the one you take out. Not having those the same is the only time I've ever heard of someone swapping them out and it caused the stack to go down.

I asked my old tech about the System Monitor card and he is adamant that I more than likely got a bum RG replacement card. He said he has never seen a RG card have any issue than other the card itself and just replacing it fixed the issue...not the power supply or the system monitor card.

There is a RED light on the top left of the column. He said this is an indication of a the RG card being bad.

How would the system monitor card play a role in the RG card especially when there is nothing plugged in the monitor card??

Check the switch on the front of the card. They were notorious for failing after they were toggled, at least on the NT6D41 power supplies. Several times I have had to join the leads with a jumper or connect them to the same post on the switch to bypass the faceplate switch, I think there was even a bulletin on this back in the 1990's advising to shut down the power to the shelf at the pedestal to replace the power supply.

Like KCFLHRC I would first disable the system monitor TTY and remove it from the system before I would go off buying a new PS for the shelf. One of the things that monitor does is shunt down the power if it thinks there is a problem. I have replaced more system monitor cards for no ring voltage problems than I have replaced ring generator cards for that same issue. The red light says that the system monitor does see a problem but those were a pretty dumb monitoring system and didn't really tell you much on where the problem actually was unless it was overheating or you could read hex.

Easy enough to do, doesn't cost you a thing to try it, and it would help pinpoint where the problem actually is. Worst part about doing that is that it should probably be scheduled for off hours since it shouldn't take down the switch but it is always remotely possible it could.

I would say your " Old Tech" hasn't been around a M1 a whole lot if he believes the Sys Mon cant affect a RG, but feel free to do as you like. Lots of good resources here with years of experience.

Thanks guys, I will try that tomorrow morning.

Question, when I unseat the sysmon card...is that when I should see if the RG start to work if it is the sysmon card causing the issue?

Ok update.

I disabled tty 0 and unseated the sysmon card. The red light on the column went out. Reseated sysmon card and enabled tty 0. My original ring generator card will now flash on green for a second and then go out. My replacement card stayed green! Tested and fax machine that was not picking up before is now answering. Problem solved?

Nope lol Went back in just now and green light on the RG card is out however I get new error messages when I do a stat xsm in LD 37.

INTERLOOP TEST START.
PWR059 DCSP 00 0 0

PWR019 DCSP 00 0 0

PWR059 DCSP 00 0 0

PWR019 DCSP 00 0 0

PWR059 DCSP 00 0 0

PWR019 DCSP 00 0 0

PWR059 DCSP 00 0 0

PWR019 DCSP 00 0 0

PWR059 DCSP 00 0 0

PWR019 DCSP 00 0 0

PWR059 DCSP 00 0 0

PWR019 DCSP 00 0 0

PWR016 PFTC 00 0 0

I did some searching on some old threads (KCFLHRC's) here and it appears that the DSCP code is pointing to a bad DC power supply? I also see the PWR016 PFTC code which says bad Power Fail Transfer card?

So what would you think the next step is? I do have a spare DC power supply that I ordered the other day.

Is the issue the Power supply or possibly a bad sysmon board?

As I posted the other day I suspect its the PE Power Supply located next to the Ring Generator

I went to replace the PE DC supply this morning and discovered that the replacement they sent me is damaged.

IMG-5877_rxwpt0.jpg

Great

Let me ask this....I disabled TTY 0 and unseated the SYSMON card again. As soon as I did that the red tower light went out and the RG card lit up green. The second I reseated the SYSMON card the red light on column came back on and RG card green light went out.

So does this mean the SYSMON card is the culprit or when I unseat it does it just stop seeing an issue with the power supply and stop reporting it?

I think I've ruled out the RG card being bad as it does light up and work when the SYSMON card is out.

Narrowed down to PE DC Power supply or SYSMON card?

I hope I explained everything correctly. What would you guys put your money on is bad piece in this equation?

Thanks so much for the help

Be careful sliding that Sys Mon in and out or you will trip the breakers to the column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back