Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rights to put News

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmphuskers

Programmer
Feb 12, 2003
US
I have a couple of sites featuring dietary supplements that I need to find information on how I can publish news and information about supplements etc. without violating copywrite laws.

I have never discussed this until I read another post that talked a little bit about rights to put news up.

Where is a good place to go to find more information?

I doubt you're breaking copyright laws if you link to the actual published articles. Other than that, see if you can get permission...

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook (No, I'm not Rick)

fart.gif

You are free to link to any news article, however it gets tricky since these articles may not be posted permanently. maintenance can be a bear.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Of course you can always publish anything that you write yourself.

You get the bonus of making your site more interesting to the user. I know I'd much rather read your take on some issue than click through a bunch of links you've collected.

[sub]Never be afraid to share your dreams with the world.
There's nothing the world loves more than the taste of really sweet dreams.
[/sub]

I have not heard of them. What do they offer in regards to what I am looking for?

I believe, if the written works are copyrighted, by either the author or the employer of the articles (works for hire), then you could be considered in violation of that copyright if you "publish" the article on your site without permission.

Of course you can link to anything you want.

You can use a web service to automatically collect headlines related to a particular subject and put them on your site (needs a little technical know-how though). A quick search on Google brought up which looks pretty useful.

Contrary to viol8ion's assertion some (very, very stupid) site owners object to you linking to their stories. See for more info.

-- Chris Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back