Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Right way to configure a headless Solaris 8 server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDameron

Programmer
Aug 8, 2003
US
We have a Solaris 8 server we use for our development work, but it will be deployed eventually as headless. Aside from the obvious steps of unplugging the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and making sure we can tip into a serial port, is there anything else we need to do? For instance, is it necessary to disable S99dtlogin? Do we need to pull out the graphics/video card(s)?

If the system does not detect a keyboard while booting, input and output are automatically redirected to the first
serial interface (/dev/ttya, often named "A"). You may attach a terminal or another computer (using a
crossover serial cable) to this port.

no there is nothing to do; stopping S99dtlogin will just shutdown the X-Server (or will not start it); If you are using something lice Exceed you can run a XDMCP-Query and work at your PC like heading the Sun... (i hope you can understand)

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back