Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Right-hand column bumps out only in IE5/Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckdesign

Technical User
Sep 21, 2001
US
I've build a page looks OK in IE/Windows, Firefox/Windows, Firefox/Mac, and Safari/Mac, but it breaks apart in IE/Mac. I've heard that IE has problems, and I've experimented with trying to use a workaround, including the so-called "box model hack," to no avail.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to get my right-hand column to consistently stay just to the right of the red vertical bar, using CSS, without flying way off to the right?

Thanks,
Chuck
P.S. And yes, some people still use IE5 for Mac... including my boss. :-o

-- Chuckdesign :)

If you remove the width of 40% on the rightcol container, the problem goes away.

So, having said that, if you can do your widths in a different way (maybe with EMs, etc), then you should be home and dry.

P.S. You should tell your boss that even Microsoft no longer officially support IE/Mac (as of this month), so it's time to forget it as a viable browser. It's buggy as hell, and has little support for newer CSS. Honestly - stop living in the past and move on.

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Thanks, Dan, but that didn't quite fix it. The problem was that I had closed the ending "homepageimage" div in the wrong place. Once I moved up the closing </div> tag so it followed the "homepageimage" JPEG (instead of at the end of the document), the right column started behaving.

See:

Thanks for your help nonetheless.

-- Chuckdesign :)

Just to say that in IE5.0 on Windows the navigation menu tabs initially show in the wrong positions. As soon as you roll over the menus everything settles back to as I would expect it (and remains that way even when you roll off the menu).

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page @ Code Couch
[/tt]

What is Javascript? FAQ216-6094

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back