Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

right clickk roblems in start menu 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisLaborde

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2002
US
On a new computer, I have noticed for the first time, that I cannot right click on an item in the Start Menu, and get a popup for dealing with the file or folder that I'm pointing at.

As an example, on other machines I am able to go through the start menu, all programs, etc.. and when my pointer is over some program, say "Windows Explorer", I was able to right click, and then select "copy" from the context menu, and then go paste that anywhere I wanted, to have a shortcut to Explorer in places that *I* want it to be.

On this one computer, when I right click, nothing happens. Well, there is a little "flash" sort of thing, but no popup.

Can anyone help with this please?

Thanks,
Travis

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

Perhaps even running a Registry Cleaner program may fix this problem.
Why it takes years to display right-click drop down menu?
thread779-277803

This is on a fresh install... now it is on another PC as well.... anyone else have any ideas?

Travis

Is Task Manager registering a high CPU usage after you Right Click on the shortcut?

Try it with any Virus Scanner disabled and see what happens.

Maybe the workaround mentioned in this link might do something, wont hurt to try it.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

291722 - Item in the Pinned List Does Not Start When You Click It

I too have had this problem in the past and the solution is generally very simple.

1. Right click on the Start button. Select "Properties".
2. In the window that opens click "Customize".
3. In the new window that opens select the "Advanced" tab.
4. In the middle of the window is a box with a scroll bar, in that area is a list of options. Check the option box labelled "Enable dragging and dropping" near the top of the list.

Then open your start menu and try right clicking.

Hope that helps.

-----------------------
Fishguy

Thanks Fishguy! That was it exactly! Wow, I'd have never connected "drag-and-drop" to "right-click-doesnt-work."

I appreciate the help!

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back