Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Right click to open new window

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdylan

Technical User
Mar 7, 2001
GB
I'm having a problem with IE6. It has only just started doing it recently and I'm not sure why. If I see a link and I want to open it in a new window I usually just right click on it and use 'Open in New Window', at the moment though the new window only opens up in half a screen and I have to click maximise to open it right up. I've checked all the Internet settings I can find and have even tried repairing the installation with no luck. Has anyone got any other ideas?

When the windows opens, drag the borders, top, right, bottom, and left to the size you want (almost filling the entire screen). DO NOT use the maximize button.

Now choose File>Close, DO NOT use the X in the top right corner. Go back to the page you just opened the new one from, choose View>Refresh and now click the link again, it should open to the size that you just closed it from.

reghakr

Thanks but I've tried that already, the window opens OK if I just click on it, it's only when I RIGHT-CLICK that the problem occurs

Here are some other possibilities:

Many solutions to choose from. I don't recommend running 3rd party apps, but if that's the only way:
==================================================
try double-clicking on the Titlebar

If you're running in 1024x768 screen area, type this into the browser window:
javascript:resizeTo(1024,768);

If you're running 800x600, type:
javascript:resizeTo(800,600);

Reset New Browser Window Size
Sometimes Internet Explorer 5 "decides" to remember the wrong size for a new window. Whatever you do, you can't seem to get it to remember a normal size.

Backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\Main
Delete the value Window_Placement
Exit the Registry Editor

AutoSizer automatically resizes any window you specify. For instance, some web browsers open up in a non-maximized window. Using AutoSizer, you can set those windows to automatically maximize every time they’re opened. It works with almost any program, including web browsers, Notepad, etc. AutoSizer stays running in the System Tray (next to the time), so it stays out of your way while it works.

===================================================
reghakr

try just holding down the shift key and left clicking on a link , this should open a new window to normal size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back