Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Right-click menu sticks on "New" when scrolled over...

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidoo

Technical User
May 13, 2001
US
My mouse sticks on the "new" selection of the right-click desk menu. After a few seconds, it becomes "unstuck" and I can choose from the menu, but it's been driving me nuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Sounds like the "Sticky" may actually be your PC has become idle. The seconds it takes to appear is really waiting for the hard drive to wake-back-up.

From control panel --> change your power scheme to 'Always On' - and power down to NEVER.

Hope this helps ~

My settings are already set that way, so it's not that, but thank you for the input!

What about "FastFind" - you happen to have that in your startup? You know how that thing breaks everything else from working properly.

I don't have fast start, but I am using Tweak UI; is there a folder where the "new" objects on the right-click menu are stored? Maybe the shortcuts in that folder are different than the ones in TWeak Ui, if that makes sense...

Correction: not "fast start", "FastFind".

I have this problem too!
I assume its my hardware specification:

Win98
166MHz
24MB RAM
300MB out of 2GB free

Whats your specification?

How many entries do you have on the New menu item, eg Text document, Microsoft Excel worksheet, etc?

Windows may be sticking on something in the list. If you use TweakUI, got to the New tab and unclick the entries you don't want or recognise, Apply, and see if there is any difference. You can also do this to limit the menu to sensible proportions, even if you are not having a specific problem.

Note unclick, not remove unless you are real sure.

Hope this helps.

Very probable that system is busy. Check Resources free {Control Panel/ System/ Performance}. Do you have other apps running.

If so there are some optimization techniques you may wish to use. ScanDisk, Defrag, Under Performance -> File System -> change to Network Server (allowing better caching), larger Virtual Memory Setting 5x MB RAM, to name the most common.

This may not cure you problem but may alleviate it somewhat.

Good Luck! -md

I only have four items on the New tab, and the mouse is definitely sticking on the "New". It does it even when I have nothing running, and I monitor my RAM with Rampage. I defrag once a week and run scandisk daily. What would be a good min/max for my virtual memory?
My system:

WIN 98
333MHz
128 RAM
30 GB drive, 20GB used

I think if I can find the folder the New tab references (like the "C:windows/system/SENDTO" folder), I might find the problem there. Sorry to hear you have it too, Steve. Four or five seconds of waiting on it to unstick when you're pluggin away definitely breaks one's work flow. I went so far as to have a "blank" folder handy that I could just right-click, drag and copy for a new folder. What a crazy workaround...probably takes just as much time, but at least I'm moving along the highway instead of being stuck in traffic.(-:

i doubled ram to 128 from 64 and this is 100 ram.

i prefer to set vm at same min max, to save windows from using proc time to think about it or change it, they usually
say 3 times ur ram, make it 5 times.

i dont have anything running n startup i dont want there,or if something shows up i kill it on startup

but that still happens to me, altho not just on new

im afraid it does sound like the system is busy, idle or went fishing-unless you are certain it never happens any other time, if so, voila, and i personally dont know how to
remove items from that menu, if you do, id do that.

if not, a drastic step might be to reinstall windows over itself. sometimes it even works.

X-)

You'll have to change setting in the registry as there isn't a "send to " folder as such. Under W98 ME the location of items from the "new" menu is

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable\PostSetup\ShellNew

Delete the items you dont need from there.

Give it a try anyway

Good Luck
:)I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back