Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Right Click freezing, I have gotten some progress but not there yet? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayztek

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2009
so about a month ago one of my desktops started exhibiting an issue, i have researched this extensively and tried to solve it myslef and am now throwing myslef on the mercy of the forum for help

the issue"

right click for context menu takes approx 15-30 seconds to pop up for FILES (folders are unaffected) and when ANY program, such as adobe photoshop, ms outlook, any program starts it freezes (hangs) for the same amount of time before becoming usable

ALL windows whether it be a folder, a browser or a program, when clicked produce bill gates favorite words (NOT RESPONDING) but if left alone will become usable

this SLOWS DOWN productivity when choosing photos for editing, it occurs with ALL FILE TYPES not just jpg (however EXE is unaffected and menu shows up immediately)

attempts at solving

system mechanic was isntalled and a slew of registry and hard drive checks were run
spybot sd was run and updated
numerous virus scans were run (eset, kapasky)
checkdisk /f was run
sfc was run
final attempt to "install over" xp was done, no change
shellex was used but was unable to locate the problem (disabling SOME context handlers did not make a difference, and SOME would cause the machine to hang on boot

I am running out of answers

lets see what everyone else has got for me

thanks again

Are there any drive mappings pointing to something that no longer exists?

yes

we do SEVERAL hundred drive mappings *(through the map network drive) a week, most of them are only temporary

did i miss something here?

OF COURSE

we were running around in circles with our heads cut off, funny how something like

this next paragraph is for the HOPE that someone searching might see this in google or some other search engine

" MAPPED DRIVES NO LONGER USED CAN CAUSE RIGHT CLICK CONTEXT MENUS TO FREEZE"

lol

i have to post this to a few forums now, it seems thats the way to give back, but all the systems got much needed cleaning out of it as well

thanks everone

Glad that this helped. And thank you for posting back your findings as it'll help others!

Have another star Freestone, this what I came in to suggest. Ya beat me to it.

Glad it all worked out.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back