Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Richtext Format in tables - Default vs. Embedded font...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lameid

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
US
I / We are missing a nuance on how the font specification is used in data.

It seems that the table has a default font of sorts (my out of the air nomenclature) and if your column is in that font, it is not embedded in the data in the font tag.

When you use some other font, it seems to specify it.

However it seems to be a bit of a mystery when you are changing the table / default font vs the font of the data.

Using a query with CSTR on any Rich Text Formatted fields reveals font tags...

Does anyone have a grasp on the nuance of when it does or doesn't change? Edit: How do I force the default font to change and how do I ensure the font is in the data / different?

I don’t think “the table has a default font of sorts”, as long as the field(s) are not specified as Rich Text Formatted fields. If you have fields defined as text, date, or number, the display’s font is decided by you. If you like Arial/bold/Italic, and you set up your display that way then that’s what you are going to see. You can always change the display to Wingdings/underlined/size 45, and that’s what you get. Those settings do not change anything in the table or in your data base. It is just the display of your data.

If you do have a field defined as Rich Text Formatted, the font name, size, bold, underline, etc. are parts of the data inside that field, aside from the actual text. The setup of your display (mentioned above) should not influence how you see your text from the Rich Text Formatted fields (unless somebody set up a text as Helvetica, which you have to pay for, and you do not have this font installed, then your operating system, probably, will exchange the font type to something that you do have available).

---- Andy

There is a great need for a sarcasm font.

If the table display font is say Arial 10 and I have Rich Text Format Fields and the text within them is Arial 10, the font information for Arial 10 is not in the data. Access does not put it in. If the font is say Franklin Gothic 12 for display and you change the text of the font Arial 10 it will be in the data. If you change it back to Franklin Gothic 12, it is not embedded. And that is fine if Franklin Gothic 12 is a novel font for the data. However we see weird idiosyncratic things around changing the display or default font, most noteworthy using multiple machines. I have not had time to sit still and play with it to figure out the behavior of the nuances. I am good at seeing those things and figuring them out. The person doing the work of course is good at other things like seeing that there are font differences. The solution for that person is play with it until it works absent understanding. I was hoping someone else had taken the time to understand it as I suspect it would be at least a day of trying things to figure out what is what. But when you change the font looking at the table it is also unclear whether you are changing the display font or the data font. It is nuanced and weird not understanding what is going on under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back