Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rhel4 root pass reset in vmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

goBoating

Programmer
Feb 8, 2000
US
Hello all.
New job. After getting laid off last month.....Yea! But, jumping into some stuff I've not done before. Also, while I wait for my new corporate IT to get me into this century, my best access to the web is via my PDA.

We have a redhat el 4 machine running virtul in vmware and have screwed up the rhel4 root password. If this was not a virtual machine, I'd reboot on the install media/repair/reset the password and reboot.... or, catch GRUB, boot to single user....etc. But, w/ the vmware, I don't think a boot loader is in the mix. And, booting off the install media won't work.... I don't think.

The machine is running and I don't want to monkey with it on friday afternoon..... but.would like to have a line if attack Monday morning.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

Either one should work, but you sometimes have to be quick to get the boot media menu. You might need to reboot it, then do so again via ctrl-alt-del while you have control of the console so you can press F12. Then you can boot from CD/DVD, which you would have previously mounted from an image or local drive.

There might not be a boot loader, but that's not because of VMware, it's just an installation choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back