Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RHEL 3.0 Support -- Segmentation Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

zackrspv

Technical User
Dec 20, 2004
US
Hello.

We were updating our system via the RHN (kernel updates, erratta, ect.) and were givin the following error:

Error installing lilo.conf The message was:
test install of lilo failed

the error took place after the last RPM was installed. This is a remote unmanaged server so all we use is grub as a boot loader, not lilo. We now can not access this server, and the techs on site say that they can fix the problem so long as we tell them what to do. When trying to run the update again we have the following error:

[root@ns root]# up2date-nox -u -f
error: rpmdb: damaged header #8 retrieved -- skipping.
error: rpmdb: damaged header #16 retrieved -- skipping.
error: rpmdb: damaged header #40 retrieved -- skipping.
error: rpmdb: damaged header #88 retrieved -- skipping.
error: rpmdb: damaged header #96 retrieved -- skipping.
error: rpmdb: damaged header #112 retrieved -- skipping.
error: rpmdb: damaged header #200 retrieved -- skipping.
error: rpmdb: damaged header #240 retrieved -- skipping.
Segmentation fault

At this time the production server is down and there is NOT access for us via SSH, except for if we load KNOPIXX. However as we are not familiar with KNOPIXX we are unable to see what configuration changes have taken place. How do i fix this problem? We need to get our server back up ASAP. Submitted ticket to RH-GLA however they take forever to respond.

Thanks!

HAve you tried to rebuild the RPMDB?

rpm --rebuilddb

If that fails you could rebuild it manually

rpm -qa > package.list

for file in `cat package.list`; do
rpm --justdb --nodeps "$file"
done

You might have to shift the old rpmdb off somewhere else first and initdb before you start.

It's ugly but it may work.

The problem here is i have to work within KNOPPIX. I have tried to chroot into the boot section, however it won't work, and i have to chroot hda3 (everything but my /boot directory) and work from there. I have edited the lilo.conf file to refelct the proper LABEL= stuff, however i can not run lilo -v because of the fact that i can not chroot the /boot section. I am not an experienced linux user by any means, so detailed stpes, ect, on how to fix this would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back