Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RH9 refuses to start any new apps & eats memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillari

MIS
Oct 14, 2003
AU
I have a RH9 server acting as a host for VMware/NT4. There are a couple of things that have me perplexed.

1st the systems is running on a 2.8g P4 with 2GB ram adaptec raid5 array for /home & everything else on an IDE drive.

NT4 is configured to use 1.2gb ram & when the systems starts up clean 1.8 of the 2.0 gb is in use. Now if i run somthing on the linux side like k3b (dvd burning) or just a solitare type game) I get the 2.0gb used & maybe 10Mb of swap, but this dosn't reduce after those apps are finished.

The other problem is that after a time I cant open any new apps within the gui enviroment, even an xterm session. the system thinks about it for a few seconds then nothing. The only thing i can do is ctrl-alt-Fx to get a command line session.

When you go to a command line session, what does 'top' display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back